Monday, April 2, 2012

Dummies, Sugared Toothbrushes & The Fool's Cafe

I love April Fool's Day.

When I woke up, I came out to the living room and Weston told me Emmett got mad at him and was sulking....


Ha! Emmett was hiding in the laundry room so I wouldn't see him. For a split second I thought it was a real person.  So funny!

I put sugar on  everyone's toothbrushes the night before. *snicker*  Ryan laughed. But most of the kids didn't notice! Um....maybe they're not brushing their teeth too good? Eh?

The whole day was full of tricks and laughing. It was awesome.

I found a This great idea on Pinterest for doing a mystery dinner. And since I've tricked the kids loads of times in the past with food that isn't what it looks like on April Fool's Day, I figured we better try something new. 




I went with the menu the girl hard already thought up. It was way easier that way...


Answer Key:
1. Ice
2. Deviled Eggs
3. Mashed Potatoes
4. Gravy
5. Jello
 (Utah consumes more per capita than any place else).
6. Goldfish
7. Cucumber Wheels
8. Ants on a Log
(Raisins on Peanut Butter on Celery)
9. Ham slice
10. Corn
11. Fork
12. Spoon
13. Knife
14. Toothpick
15. Water
16. Napkin
17. Ice Cream
18. Chocolate syrup
19. Mint 
20. Lemon-lime soda



Ryan thought of way to divide the kitchen from the dining room. We have this big cardboard thing from a Cub Scout pack meeting where I made it for a game...



So, we covered it with blankets and the kids couldn't peek through the holes. Oh my! They were so curious. And one of my favorite parts? When they started guessing what they could smell. They guessed pancakes and biscuits and all sorts of other things that weren't even close. 

They were so excited when it was finally time to order...



And I loved serving them their courses! They were so surprised. It was fun when they started figuring out what things were like, Titanic's Demise was ice and the son of Noah was ham. In Ryan's first course he got just a pile of chocolate syrup. I don't think he got the ice cream for it until the last course! Zoe wasn't so keen on her first course (jello, cucumbers, corn, etc.) and she actually dissolved into tears. So, if I were to do it again, I would make sure everyone understood the idea of courses and how more food would be coming soon and all of that. 


Sam did pretty good eating all of that with just a toothpick!



Molly took things into her own hands and decided to see what Corn Soda 
would taste like! So yummy, right?


Toothpicks might not be the best utensil for eating ice cream. 


It's a bit fussy to do dinner like this, but it was totally worth it! We had a lot of fun and it just might become our new April Fool's Day tradition.

1 comment:

  1. I love that idea! Your talent night is cute too. You guys do so many fun things.

    ReplyDelete